The Race of Life


I thought I would let you know about my San Antonio Rock and Roll Half Marathon experience. I had every intention of taking a lot of pictures but my camera phone is awful and it’s kind of hard to fit the fancy camera in my fanny pack! There are only a few pictures that I can share with you.

This was my fifth half marathon to participate in and by far the one I was dreading the most. I hadn’t been training as much as in years past so I had absolutely no expectations other than finishing. I was determined to cross that finish line no matter how long it would take me. And it was going to take me a real long time!

This photo is from the expo where you pick up your race packets and shirts and bib number for the race. Our friend Chris came down from Dallas. He and the hubby have been friends since junior high.


In case you hadn’t heard, it was HOT on Sunday. There were heat advisories posted everywhere so I started drinking water about 6am. Good thing I remembered to pack toilet paper. In case you need to know for future reference, people get nervous before these events and go to the bathroom a lot. There is never ANY toilet paper left in the port-a -potties, ever!  The race this past weekend was no different. I watched as angst filled first timers checked every single port a potty for some toilet paper, the whole row of 30 of them. I felt sorry for this one lady who had tears in her eyes at the thought of going sans TP. I whispered to her like I was a drug dealer and peeled off a few squares. She was about as happy as if she had won the lottery! Now, I would have love to share more of my bounty of TP but I knew all too well that this was going to be at least a three hour race for me. Drinking tons of water and Gatorade would require lots of pit stops along the course of over 13 miles so my good deed was done. I hid the rest of the TP stash.

The start of the race was uneventful. They quit letting the corrals go individually at this point and opted to let us go all at once. I love soaking in all the faces of the families that are watching their loved ones participate for the very first time. They are so proud and anxious all at the same time!

Once they gave us the green light, it was a mass of humanity working to get to their pace times. I had been hanging out with my neighbor Martha during this whole time. She was in the same corral as me but has a faster time so I told her, “Honey, don’t wait on me, I ‘m taking the scenic route this year!”

And I did. It was the most stress free race ever. I talked and chatted with total strangers. I reassured first timers. I was the tour guide through downtown San Antonio for the out of town folks.  I was passed up by non other than great grandmas and pregnant ladies. I suffered through music on my iPod that I let my fourteen- year old son pick for me. The Bee Gees, really?

So after four port a potty breaks and picking out my favorite sign of the race, which read, “This is the worst parade ever!” I ran across the finish line with the time of 4.01 . It put me at the break neck pace of about 18 minutes a mile. It might have been my worst time by far but it was my best experience yet.

It was an affirmation that I will forever be in love with people, the overall experience, my chosen hometown, my man and life.

Although this has been a tough few months in losing my mom and friends that are going through the same thing, I am always reminded of a quote that my mom lived her life by:

“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.”
-Mother Teresa


Thank you Mom for being such a wonderful example in how to live!






Our post race group picture. Chris finished in about 2 hours.

Martha finished in about 3 hours. She takes time out of her busy schedule to train students for triathlons in a local elementary school .

The big Stud and I are just happy to have crossed the finish line this year!

Stay Sassy Y’all.


Related posts:

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS


  1. jessica long says:

    So proud of u!!! I have decided I’m going to do the half next year. My first. I’m already nervous and excited!

    • Isn’t just so fun! I guess you did well in your relay-The mini-marathon was new this year-I loved their shirts! You will do great, I just know it!

  2. we did it too. actually, weather wise, it was the worst one i’ve competed in. way too humid. we were all drenched in sweat by the first mile marker. i was very happy to see all the water stations this year. generally, i typically only need to stop at one or two in a half but this year i only skipped one station. i was afraid i would lose too many electrolytes my body needed. my time was off for the first ten miles due to fatigue and just too many people i was getting stuck behind :) ( yes, i’m one of those competitive runners ). needless to say, i pulled off a time of 2:10. i was hoping for 2:00 or under.. my husband finished in 2:01 and he had trained to finish in 1:45. oh well. hopefully next year’s weatehr will mimic what it was like in 2008 or 2010.
    take care.

    • Yeah Jenny! I know you are disappointed bu it’s impressive to us slow people! Whatever happened to the cool weather in November anyway? It was hot last year too! I was worried about not hydrating too and got water and Gatorade at each station that was there and had it! Tell your hubby congrats too!

  3. Laura,
    I work with your sister Jane and knew that you and your big Stud were doing this race. Congrats on 1/2 #5. This was my first 1/2 marathon and I, too, was wishing for cooler weather!! But, I had started training in the Texas summer, so I knew it could have been worse. I started running about a year and an half ago with the goal of running a 5K by my 40th birthday that was then 6 months away. I reached that goal-and was hooked! My dear friend-a half-marathoner and tri-athlete -convinced me that a half was the next step. So, about April of this year after completing a 10K, I signed up for San Antonio Rock n Roll. Running for me is therapy, much like the lady you spoke about in a recent blog, and longer runs just meant more therapy. I went to SA with a goal of finishing in 3 hours–and even with the heat and craziness of being surrounded by people for the ENTIRE 13.1 miles–I finished at 3:02:16! It was a great event and a great town—especially the awesome food at LaFonda on Main :) Your hometown knows how to do it and I plan on being back next year–hopefully it will be cooler!!
    PS-“Worst Parade Ever” was my favorite sign, too.

    • Yeah Christy, that is so wonderful and inspiring. If you did so well in the heat and humidity just imagine how fast you would when it’s cool! I am so glad you had such a great experience and SA was good host for you-that back patio is the perfect place for a post half marathon margarita! Maybe Janie will join you next year-she’s doing her first half next month!

Leave a Reply to Laura Cancel reply


This site is protected by Comment SPAM Wiper.